10:30 The Avenue,
6:30 pm Brendon Hill
You can find details of all our
services on the Circuit Plan - click here
The Rank Trust deed objectives are:
To advance the Christian faith and
To further any other objects or purposes which are exclusively charitable according to the laws of England and Wales in force from time to time and offers grants for this work.
Please click here for the
Joseph Rank Trust website
In August 2019 the decision was made to close Timberscombe chapel.
Sad though it is to lose another place of worship, the Methodist cause continues in the village.
On the last Tuesday of every month (except August and December) we meet in the Old Dairy, across the main road, at 2.30pm.
At our meeting we share in fellowship and prayer and enjoy an informal conversation about a Bible passage.
Of course, we always conclude with tea and cake!
Do join us.
'The wretched poor people of the countryside in the early 19th century received little support, material or spiritual, from the Parish Church': this was the situation into which the Bible Christian preachers came in the early 1820's.
A cottage fellowship for prayer and preaching was started in the shopkeeper's cottage at Timberscombe, and in 1833 Edward Cording and his elder brother James obtained the lease of the large farm and manor of Croydon Hall, where for the next 60 years passing preachers were assured of a true Christian welcome and hospitality.
In 1835 Edward built a chapel at Timberscombe and the present building, perched on the hillside near the Parish Church, was opened on March 2yth 1836. The membership remained for many years around 20-25, and Timberscombe shared in a Revival which started in Luxborough in 1858 and spread through much of the Circuit. But 10 years later, for reasons now lost, numbers fell right away and for a short time the Chapel was closed. However, the Chapel re-opened, members returned, and in 1884 there was another great Revival. Then economic depression and depopulation took their toll: the mines and slate quarries closed, and the young people, and often whole families, moved out to seek a better life elsewhere.
In 1907 the Bible Christian Church became part of the United Methodist Church, and in 1932 this United Church joined with the Primitives and the Wesleyans to make the present Methodist Church. In 1969 the original Bible Christian Circuit (Kingsbrompton) was amalgamated with two others to form the present West Somerset Methodist Circuit. These changes have had little practical impact, on the whole, on the small village Chapels like Timberscombe; what has had much more effect, and a wholly beneficial one, is the breakdown of the old enmity between Church and Chapel. The happy co-operation between Anglican and Methodist congregations, so evident here, would have been unthinkable 100 years ago.
This Microportal is built on the 2day Microportals platform which provides you with 3 click access to local and global information crucial both to your personal and working life. The platform provides live local data on transport, what's on, accommodation, eating out, shopping, sport, religion and weather as well as comprehensive reference and resource sections including TV, radio, online shopping, route planning, health, education and more.
Copyright © 2004–2019 2day Microportals, East Quither Farm, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0PZ, UK.